You are here
Apptio accelerates service transformation.
“Maritz IT was competing for the business. That meant we had to stop being a murky ‘black box’ IT department and start providing fully transparent services competitive with third-party providers, as well as change our approach to being a consultative, customer-focused, easy-to-work-with organization.”
Is your service transformation at risk from financial pitfalls?
Transforming to a services-led IT organization can provide a compelling improvement in IT's alignment to the needs of the business. Success depends on learning to "run IT like a business," but there's no shortage of stumbling blocks to undermine your progress:
IT like it's free
from unexpected demand
build & run budgets
Business sees low value
for IT costs
Apptio clears the path for successful service transformation
- Align IT service investments to business initiatives and sponsors.
- Explain where project costs are going across each consuming BU.
- Show what each BU gets for its IT dollars and what drives those costs.
- Build multi-year service operating and capital budgets for labor, resources, contracts, etc.
- Increase accountability by putting budget decision making into the hands of IT service owners.
- Analyze monthly variance and update forecasts to minimize padding and surprises.
- Set unit prices based on forecasted service costs and volumes.
- Develop demand-driven budgets and avoid service cost overruns.
- Forecast changes in business demand and adjust resources quickly.
- Deliver a pro-forma "bill of IT" automatically via email for easy access.
- Communicate predictable, trusted IT allocations by BU, dept, and user.
- Provide service options and let business consumers dictate demand.
- Establish overall service budgets inclusive of project investments.
- Forecast the impact of IT projects on long-term service run costs.
- Plan costs and resources for multi-year projects, including capital and run costs.
Benefits for service transformation stakeholders
Office of the CIO
Communicate value through the lens of IT services and underlying cost drivers. Drive shared accountability with the business by showing how their consumption drives IT costs.
Develop resource budgets and set service pricing based on demand from business consumers. Calculate defensible service costs and operationalize showback/chargeback to BUs.
Infrastructure & Operations
Accurately plan and measure resource costs based on service demand. Shape infrastructure demand by showing how consumption choices drive IT costs.